From:
Stacey Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:52:52 -0400

Thank you to everybody who responded.  The consensus was there is no gf
egg noodle made.  However, there were many clever suggestions.  Many
involve checking out the Asian market. See below:

my suggestion is to use the Asian rice noodles.  I especially love the wider
version of these.  If you have a good Asian market near you - check them out.
The very fine rice noodle makes a great soup noodle and also can be
substituted for angel hair pasta.  Cost is much more economical than gf
varieties.

I found a rice noodle named Queen Rose out of Portland, OR that had a better
consistenecy.  Purchsed it at a health food store in vancouver, WA, Nature's.

The closest I have come to producing jewish equivalent food is by using rice
noodles. They come wide enough for lasagna down to very thin vermicelli.  I
make various delicious versions of lockshun kugel & add noodles to homemade
chicken soup.  Look in the ethnic aisles of your large grocery store or look
for small oriental, east indian, fijian etc stores - it's amazing what
you'll find. Just think: substitute.

Ener-G has a flat long noodle called Tagliatelli. If its to long you could
just break it into smaller pieces.

Well, I have tried the mini lasagne noodles.  They were good in taste and
pretty good in texture.  The only thing I put on them was some butter, salt,
and pepper.  However, they did get a strange kind of stickiness or gumminess.
They were, and were not, like regular egg type noodles.  The length and
width were perfect for me.

A majority on the list seem to agree that Pastoriso brand pasta is the best
tasting and feeling. I agree with this wholeheartedly, and it seems to me
to be the only one that doesn't turn to mush as leftovers. And they make
all kinds of pasta. -vance

I'm with you...I don't want to make my own noodles...I'd much prefer to buy
them!  LOL   Anyway, I went to an oriental grocery store (on the advice from
someone in our support group) and found rice noodles...the only ingredients
are rice and water.  I was just floored at how good they taste and the
texture isn't anything like the texture of the rice and/or corn spaghetti
that I buy at the health food store (highway robbery prices on those).  I got
a relatively large bag of oriental style noodles at the oriental grocery for
less than $1.00.  I finally worked up the courage to try them and was
pleasantly surprised.  Now I'll be able to make noodle dishes and no one will
ever know that they aren't egg noodles!

I use Tinkyada lasagna noodles for noodle kugel.

I use  Food For Life 100%  Rice Elbows  (macaroni).  I cook it longer
than it says.  Some times I use corn elbows available in bulk, so I don't know
the brand. Both are at the health food store. (Whole Foods Market)