From:
Rosemary Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:51:40 -0400

After receiving the informative info about wheat leaves and grasses, I was
still
puzzled about wheat sprouts and what part might be edible, so, thanks to Lisa
Brown, I emailed the 2 professors at Texas A & M and received these replies:

"I would eat alfalfa sprouts instead.  The wheat proteins could be partially
solubilized during sprouting and diffuse to not seed tissues, i.e. the
roots and
shoots of the sprouts.  Any evidence of a wheat kernel is bad news for
celiacs,
including sprouted wheat "anything".  Good luck in avoiding wheat products."

"I suppose that CS folks could eat wheat sprouts but only the green parts
etc. I
would avoid wheat sprouts as well because the chance of obtaining sprouted
wheat
kernel parts is pretty high. As I understand it an amino acid sequence is
involved so hydrolyzed proteins would be suspect.  Thus,  no wheat sprouts
would
be the wisest process to follow. Hope this clarifies the situation.