Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:48:42 -0500

Here’s a reminder on the easiest way to make your GF
holiday pies. I make all my pies crustless and nobody
misses the crusts. (It's the same concept as the impossible
pies that Bisquick offer recipes for, but obviously those
would not be GF.) I've learned that if you add 1/4 cup of
GF flour to the recipe, you get a crustless pie that you
can serve easily and that tastes wonderful. (Note: Even if
the recipe already calls for some flour, you substitute GF
flour for that amount and still add 1/4 cup more of GF
flour.) I most often make pumpkin, coconut, chocolate, and
vinegar pies (an old-fashioned recipe that is delicious)
using this method. I just use mainstream recipes and make
the adjustments. The Libby’s pumpkin pie recipe is a good
one to use. Just add the ¼ cup of GF flour to the other
ingredients and follow other directions.

Fruit pies are obviously heavier and 1/4 cup GF flour isn't
enough. For fruit pies, you can just Google "crustless
apple pie" for example and get recipes where you can
substitute GF flour for the flour required. Here’s a recipe
for a crustless apple pie that I made for our support group
recently. Everyone loved it. (Note: Xanthan gum is NOT
required for crustless pies of any kind.)

Easy Apple Pie

1 (9 inch) pie plate, buttered
5 or 6 apples, cut up
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. GF flour*
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. sugar
1 c. sugar
1 egg
pinch of salt

Put apples in pie plate and sprinkle with cinnamon and 1
tablespoon sugar. In a bowl, mix 1 cup sugar, GF flour, and
butter. Blend in unbeaten egg & pinch of salt. Mix well and
pour over apples. Sprinkle more cinnamon over the top. Bake
at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

*My flour mix is made of 3 parts Asian white rice flour
(more finely ground) and 2 parts Argo cornstarch. I mix it
up in a huge bowl and then store it in Tupperware
containers. I use it measure for measure like wheat flour.
Sometimes I add xanthan gum (1/2 tsp per cup of flour, but
no more than 1 tsp usually) like for cookies, but again the
crustless pie recipes don’t need xanthan gum.

Happy holidays!
Shirley Braden
King George VA