From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:51:42 -0700

My original Inquiry:  "I'd like to know what some of my fellow celiacs
have done to cope with or
eliminate leg cramps."

I received 49+ responses (lost count).  Most of them reported nutritional
solutions, but there were some interesting alternatives offered.  Some
suggested single solutions (e.g. calcium, magnesium, etc.), but most
suggested multiple strategies to eliminate leg cramps.  Here's the
breakdown:

calcium - 12
gluten free diet - 8
potassium alone - 7
multi-mineral supplement  - 7
magnesium  - 6
calcium & magnesium  - 5
electrolytes (potassium, sodium, Gatorade, sea salt, etc.)  - 4
b vitamins  - 3  (folate, B-12, B complex)
vitamin D  - 2
Iron - 2
drink lots of water - 2
vitamin E - 1
betaine hydrochloride - 1
other  - 14   (exercise (3), massage (2), aspirin, black cherry juice,
quinine, epson salts bath, bar soap, change b.c. pills, etc.)

Below are excerpts from the responses that contain the most detail.  [My
comments are in brackets]:

--------------------
Potassium and calcium/magnesium supplements.  I found I was very low in
magnesium and was a real life changer when I started taking it.
--------------------
Take Calcium/Magnesium capsules at night.  In my experience the leg
cramps come from lack of magnesium.
--------------------
[I started taking magnesium 500 to 1000 mg daily 4 or 5 years ago.  About
a year after I started using it, I started having leg cramps.  I added
potassium & the leg cramps disappeared.  Aha!  I thought the problem was
solved, but the cramps returned.  I got a brief reprieve when I went GF 2
1/2 years ago.  Then about a year later, the leg cramps came back with a
vengence, worse than ever.  My nutritional MD recommended a higher
quality magnesium (magnesium aspertate).  I tried it, but the cramps
continued.  I tried increasing & reducing my potassium & magnesium
dosages, but nothing changed.  Out of frustration, I STOPPED taking
magnesium altogether & the cramps got less severe.  So I thought I was
probably overloaded with magnesium or deficient in calcium or some other
vital mineral.  (I'd read that an over dose of magnesium can cause a
deficiency of calcium and vise versa.)  I tried calcium/magnesium
supplements and other multi-mineral formulas, but they didn't help much.

        About a year ago, I finally found a complete multimineral bone building
formula designed by two nutritional MDs, Jonathan Wright and Alan Gaby,
called OsteoPrime Forte made by PhytoPharmica.  OsteoPrime Forte contains
calcium, magnesium, zinc, plus all the trace minerals & vitamins known to
enhance bone mineralization.  I first started taking it for osteopenia,
but it stopped my leg cramps after the very first day.  I was amazed.  I
couldn't believe anything could work so fast.  (I know, I know.  I sound
like a commercial, but it's true!)  As long as I keep taking this
product, I have NO leg cramps.  But if I skip a week or so, the cramps
return.
        It only costs about $18/mo.  That's really inexpensive when compared to
what it would cost to get all those nutrients from different products.
It's so simple to have only two nutritional supplements to take a day --
my multi-vitamin and my OsteoPrime Forte.  And even if it cost more, I'd
still use it because it gives me a peaceful, painless night's rest w/o
drugs.  (It's sold at some compounding pharmacies & available online.
Just do a Google search & several sources will pop up.)]
-----------------------
 I'm 27 and have been GF for 4 years and taking LIQUID Calcium for 2
years and if I miss it for a week my cramps come back.  Get on Calcium
max. liquid dosage.P.S. The tablets or pill form don't help.
-----------------------
I used the electrolyte drink you can find on the specific carbohydrate
web-site (believe it was 1/4 real/sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, two
tablespoons honey per 1 liter boiled water. Stores for 24 hours only. I
also used NOW potassium chloride baking salt substitute. I was very weak,
even my pulse and blood pressure became erratic, along with the leg
cramps and weakness. I hope you aren't that bad off. Of course, potassium
excess is very serious as well. You should have your doctor check and
show you your potassium level. Though I wonder if that that doesn't tell
the whole picture, only blood level - not what tissues have stored. Also,
I think the rda is 3500 mg? day  - try to get lots of things like
spinach, potato, canteloupe, peaches, banana.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!