Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 09:18:49 EDT

I got a few suggestions for substitutions, but this email pretty much sums it
up the best.

Thanks Linda!!
----
Panko is kind of like dry bread shavings, or flakes, not crumbs, so it's
a little fluffier than crumbs.  I've got a few suggestions, and you
might like to mix a few of them together:

Any non-sweet cereal, crushed a bit

Flakes of parmesan cheese (not the powdered stuff, rather the stuff you
buy that looks like long shreds of coconut; actually, if you got
non-sweetened coconut, that would be an option, too)

Grate mostly hard, stale GF bread either on the large holes of your
cheese grater or the julienne attachment on your food processor (the
Ener-G tapioca bread comes to mind, leave a few slices out for a few
hours, so it's dry, but not totally dry, and then grate it)

Splintered sliced almonds

Dried mashed potato flakes, not reconsitituted

Dried onion flakes

Crushed potato chips

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Linda Ireland, Seattle