From:
ellen switkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:22:47 -0800

Maria asked where to get rice flour in quantity.  I buy it in 5 pound bags
at the local Korean market. It's much cheaper than mail order.   We're
blessed in Oakland to have a large Asian community.

A local market sells rice flour in bins.  I don't buy anything from bins
anymore due to cross contamination, but I did ask if they could sell me the
entire bag.  It was an unopened 25 pound bag of rice flour.  When I got it
home, I called the mill just to make sure, and they told me that it was
milled on the the same equipment as all their other flours, and they
couldn't guarantee that it was not contaminated.  So I had to return the
bag.  From then on I stick to Asian rice flour,  packaged at the source.
There's wonderful food for celiacs available in Chinese, Korean and
Vietnamese markets.   I  buy fresh rice noodles with dried shrimp and green
onions which makes a fabulous lunch.  Heat up with a little g-f soy sauce
and shrimp paste, heaven..

Ellen Switkes
Oakland, CA