From:
John Poindexter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 00:29:19 -0500

These are the questions I was asked after my first response:

Xantham Gum can it be substituted for Guar? yes

What is Rise Polish and can Rice Bran be substituted for it ?  For Rice
polish definition see first response to list. Yes Rice Bran can be
substituted (however it dose change it some but it still works fine).

Sweet Rice what is it and can white rice be substituted?  It is a rice
that is low  10 to 18 percent in the starch compound called amylose.
See National Geographic Article on Rice May 1994.  No white rice can NOT
be substituted ( not sticky enough ).  The best quality and value for
this rice flour  comes from oriental food stores.  However it can be
purchased from Energy Foods or Miss Robins (for example).

Tapioca Flour is it the same as the tapioca starch? It works the same.

I was asked for the Donut recipe.  I use Better Homes and Gardens New
Cook Book for this and other recipes.  Any cake donut recipe will work I
would just eliminate the oil in the batter (it dose not seem to need
it).  If you don't have one try doing a search on the internet.

Thanks for your questions.  Most of you asked John for help with this he
is my very wonderful husband but is no help to you in these matters.
Once again I want to encourage you all to be bolder in cooking with
this.  What ever you do don't just use it to make banana bread.  It  is
the best  (and most healthy) mix that I have used.  Make everything from
quick breads to cakes to ice cream cones (I have a pizzelle maker and
use the recipe for cannoli) to cookies and ginger bread houses.  Use
regular recipes.  Make all the Christmas cookies that you want.  I
usually make 12 to 15 different kinds.  As I said before I have not
fooled much with yeast recipes but I do have a good sandwich bread
recipe and I make just regular pizza crust found in the Better Homes and
Garden Cook Book.  So have fun!  I do!  And throw away all those offal
GF cook books!

Cathy