From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:16:40 PDT

Hello again

Two people have emailed me and requested me to post this information about
amasake. I do not have much knowledge on the subject of these intolerances,
so it is important to not reply to me with questions. I would not be able to
answer. I'm sure the list could help you if you have any questions. Also the
web can help as well.

I tried posting to the celiac list yesterday in response to your post but it
wasn't printed or else I did it incorrectly.   Amazake is created by
injecting with aspergillus mold culture.   If you have candida which so many
on the list do or are allergic to any kind of mold or fungus, do not drink
this preparation.  In fact I think Rice Dream "ice cream" is also injected
with the same mold.   I had such unbelievable diarrhea from both products
and was sick for ages trying to get rid of it until I spoke to some well
respected macrobiotic counselors who explained to me why I had reacted so
strongly.Please forward some of this information to the list so even if
you're not allergic to it others who are will not use these products before
being forewarned.

that amasake is injected with aspergillus mold as is, I believe Rice Dream
"ice cream".  For those people who have candida or are allergic to mold or
fungus etc or with compromised immune systems, they should not consume
these products.  I had consulted with several well respected macrobiotic
counselors who advised me of the aspergillus contained in those items.
Also, where ever plant enzymes are mentioned in tablets of digestive aids,
often those enzymes come from aspergillus sources as well.

Sheryl Tingley
Auburn, WA