From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:00:37 -0800

Cool ideas, Roy!  Thanks.  In other words increased food allergies after
going GF may actually be a sign of a recovering immune system.  That was
certainly the case for me.  10 months after I went GF, I was sicker than I
had ever been in my life.  I was afraid I was going to die from all the
complications of multiple food allergies.  Fortunately, I've recovered
thanks to restricting refined carbohydrates, supplementing w/ stomach acid
and daily consumption of my favorite probiiotic, kefir.  (I have found
inexpensive, homemade kefir to be more effective than any commercially
prepared probiotic, although they were all helpful to some degree.)

I hope everyone got to read that article Ayn shared about altered microflora
& allergies.  (Please don't ask me for the reference, I can't provide it.)
It reported on clinical research that proved the connection between
dysbiosis (overgrowth of bad gut germs) and food allergies.  [Dysbiosis in
mice was induced w/ broad spectrum antiobiotics & introduction of candida
albicans.  Then inhalent allergens were introduced through the nasal
passages.  ALL the antibiotic treated mice had severe respiratory allergic
reactions, while NONE of the non-antibiotic, control mice did. This was
proof positive that candidiasis causes allergies, at least in mice.  And
since we are so similar to mice, it's presumed the case for us, too.]

I also hope everyone on this list is familiar with the articles posted (I
think by Roy) last year about the proven connection between low stomach acid
& food allergies.  It was again done on unsuspecting lab mice.  One group
was given a stomach acid reducing medication (Prilosec, I believe).  The
control group was not treated with this medication.  Both groups were fed an
identical diet loaded with highly allergenic foods (nuts & such).  The mice
whose stomach acid was reduced developed food allergies, the control mice
did not develop allergies.

So I believe Roy is correct in recommending stomach acid supplementation for
celiacs & others who suffer from food allergies.  Stomach acid
supplementation does at least three very important things for us:  (1) it
helps break down our foods for more complete digestion, (2) It helps
"sanitize" what we to prevent candiasis & other forms of dysbiosis, (3) it
is essential for the absorption of many nutrients (B12, iron, calcium, etc.)

I know at least one doctor (Mercola) who believes that candidiasis is a
major trigger factor for gluten sensitivity.  If he's right, that's great
news, because candidiasis is something we can control in future generations
by including kefir, yogurt, raw sauerkraut & other fermented foods in the
daily diet and dramatically limiting refined carbohydrates.

I and several of the folks I have shared kefir grains with have experienced
a dramatic DECREASE in food allergy symtpoms since starting kefir.  I can
now eat just about anything [in moderation, of course] w/o reactions.  I've
even had a few accidental gluten slips lately & the reactions were so mild
they were hardly noticeable.  This is a big contrast to my life three years
ago when a pat of butter would give me a migraine & an accidental gluten
slip would turn me into a miserable, sick lunatic.  I can now eat outside my
home with more confidence & security.

So, in a nut shell:  recovery from food intolerances/allergies is this:
adequate stomach acid w/ supplementation if necessary, a source of LIVE
beneficial microorganisms (probiotics) and restriction of refined
carbohydrates.  It worked for me.

Valerie in Tacoma