From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:12:10 -0700

Here is the summary for suggestions given for a gluten-free “ramen noodle” style substitute.  I rec’d 30+ suggestions, with 18 of them being recommendations to use Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles instead.  (I have a broccoli salad recipe that usually calls for uncooked ramen noodles and wanted to make it GF).  Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions.  I actually ended up using some gluten-free Bi-Aglut (ritz style) round crackers, crushed to somewhat like a crouton, and they worked fine.  As leftovers... were just too soggy.  I also tried the thin Thai Kitchen noodles too (for this particular recipe) and they tasted like crunchy, raw,  uncooked noodles.  Here are the highlights of the suggestions I received:

Thai Noodle Products  (18 recommendations to use these, with highlights listed below, and then some additional suggestions afterwards)

·         These are available in various widths & are made from rice

·         I use the Thai Kitchen Instant Rice Noodles that come in several flavors, such as Bangkok Curry, Thai Ginger, etc.

·         You need to read the ingredient labels, because some varieties contain wheat (such and Hot & Sour).

·         These noodles are a much softer consistency that a typical ramen noodle.  They are gluten-free and egg-free.  Most of them cook within 3 minutes.

·         Some come in small bags about 1.3 oz size, some come in bowls, & some are packaged to be used as part of a main meal.   They are available via mail order at www.thaikitchen.com.

·         have not tried them, but a GF store that I shop at advertises the Thai Kitchen instant noodles as "the perfect substitution for ramen noodles."  Please let me know what you find, as I love the summertime cabbage salad with ramen noodles.

·         I make a chinese coleslaw salad that normally calls for a package of ramen noodles and the seasoning packet for the dressing.  I have found that Thai

·         Kitchen makes a gf dish that has noodles, seasoning packet and oil packet.  You can get them in bowls or in the squares like the wheat containing ramen noodles.  I have to let the salad sit a bit longer to absorb the dressing but I get raves about it every time

·         From the manufacturer's website:  QUESTION: Which products are wheat/gluten free?  ANSWER: Most of Thai Kitchen products are wheat/gluten free. The exceptions are  Hot and Sour Rice Noodle Soup Bowl, Peanut Sauce Mix, Peanut Bake, Savory  Garlic Stir-fry Rice Noodles (5.3oz), and the Lemongrass and Chili Rice Noodle Soup (5.3oz box), Toasted Sesame Stir-Fry (New) and Curry Stir Fry (New).

·         Thai Kitchens products are available in most grocery stores, including: David’s Natural Market (in Maryland), WalMart, SuperTarget, Cornerstone Nutrition (Northern Virginia), available at many stores in Denver

Other suggestions:.

·         Thin GF Spaghetti Noodles

·         Chinese rice threads or rice noodles can help.  I have used them in chicken noodle soup.  One caution - the rice threads are like an SOS pad – not separate at all.  It was difficult to break them apart before cooking them,and kind of like cutting a tangle of spaghetti after they were cooked

·         I use "rice stick bundles" from the oriental food section of the supermarket.  It is also called rice thread noodles.  Nothing is in it but rice and salt.  I use these in all types of veggie soups, etc.  With canned broth, some veggies, rice sticks, and some herbs you can make great quick soups. Rachael Ray (from the tv show 30-minute Meals) made a Thai Basil Chicken Noodle soup several months ago and used "bean thread noodle bundles".  So those exist, too, but I cannot digest beans well.  I just subbed the rice sticks and the soup was great.  You can get that recipe, btw, on

·         Annie Chung Rice Noodles

·         Never Tried it as a substitute for ramen, but we love it in Singapore show mai

·         Of course, if you are looking for the flavor, also, you might try a bouillon cube or two.

·         I'd suggest using an all-buckwheat soba. The bean and rice threads (glass noodles) tend to form a large clump--okay if that's what you're expecting, but I'd imagine that  your recipe intends for the noodles to remain identifiably singular.

·         Top of FormMei fun or bi fun (rice noodles) - though very expensive.

·         Are you looking for a substitute for the flavoring packet that comes in ramen noodles?  Or for the noodles themselves (or both?)

·         Rice noodles would probably be a good substitute for ramen noodles

·         Pad Thai noodles are very similar to ramen only with rice noodles instead of wheat.  And that packet of flavoring is just bouillon-I would just substitute a good gluten-free bouillon powder.  I haven't tried this, mind you-just a thought!

·         This depends on whether you have access to an Asian grocery stores and some experimentation. I use a rice vermicelli that I soak in hot water for about 3 minutes. Very thin noodles. I stir fry it and use it like raman noodles in soup. The noodles are about the same thickness as mung bean noodles (bean thread) which I don't think would work as a ramen substitute. The package I have says Nang Huong Rice Vermicelli also Bun GAO and Binh Tay (missing accents) are written on the package. I get this out of an Asian grocery which caters to mix of ethnicity's. I have not seen it at the small straight Korean Grocery or a small Chinese. I would think you would find this or something similar in a Vietnamese or a very large Asian Grocery. I love this noodle. It comes in a package like 6 ramen noodles stacked on top of each other, so we can remove as much or as little as we want. I have also recently seen in the same Asia store carry a Vietnamese ramen soup (rice noodle) which although
 the ingredients look OK I'm not brave enough to try. One warning in Asian groceries where translations are added on, they are not always accurate. My Korean sister in law and I went through soy sauces that were labeled in English as having only soy and water and every one had wheat in the Korean ingredients. (This was in a huge Korean supermarket outside Philadelphia)

·         The super-skinny rice & bean threads turn into glue if you try to marinate them. I used to have a "salad" recipe that called for ramen soaked in dressing to be added to raw cabbage and veggies, and learned the hard way those kinds won't do it

·         Rice noodles, aka rice stick, come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes.  I am sure that any decent sized oriental food grocery would have what you need (rice vermicelli), and you might even be able to find the right style of noodle in the asian food section.

·         Haley loved the gluten free version I invented for her.  I use the Thai Kitchen stir-fry rice noodles. I boil them like it says and then drain and add them to gluten free broth. The only thing is I need a better broth, any suggestions.... I have used the gluten free pantry chicken broth powder but it's not enough flavor. Anyhow, these noodles aren't curly they are straight but she likes them & so does all of the non-cd people in the house.

·         When in doubt...Twirl!

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson