From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:26:36 -0500

Dear Listmembers,

Thanks for all the responses you shared about your children's behavioral
reactions to a gluten slip.  I was utterly amazed at the overwhelming
consensus that came in stating that usually the first clue to a gluten slip
was behavioral changes.  This made me feel more confident about "catching"
a gluten slip if it should happen again.

 After we called companies again and clarified what was GF, I noticed
another phenomenon in my daughter that may or may not be related.  She ate
GF Best Kosher mini franks the other day, and the next day, she had the
darkest circles under her eyes.  She had also eaten on the same day Mason
Dots (candy) which I thought were GF.  She seems to be reacting to the
nitrites in the hot dogs and the colors in the candy.  Does this happen to
anyone else's children?  I can not pin point any other reason or food that
could be causing this reaction.  Also, her behavior did change for the
worse a little.  Are we supposed to keep our kids off artificial colors and
 flavors and nitrites and nitrates too?   Or is my daughter just super
sensitive to everything?  I also read something about sulfites not being
good for celiacs.  Does anyone have any information on this also?  I was
stuck out of town with my daughter and had to feed her a Wendy's salad bar
(no dressing) and a baked potato (plain) and she reacted to it.  The only
thing I could think of is the sulfites they spray on salad bars to keep the
veggies fresh.

 I'm sorry this is so long, but I am beginning to feel so overwhelmed
again.  My husband and I have decided not to feed our daughter any outside
food from now on so we can have total control over her health.  We are now
using only organic produce and meats.  I even grind our own meat to make
sure it's not mixed with gluten at the grinding plants.   Thanks in advance
for all your support and advice.

G-d bless.

Warmly,

Bev Wahl