From:
shinma 1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:19:46 PDT

I pulled this list from "The Green Kitchen Handbook" by Annie
Berthold-Bond (1997). She created a guide to grains and flours and
listed which contain gluten**. When I first learned about Celiac, this
is what I turned to; it hasn't let me down. I've removed some of the
information in order to shorten this message and have also removed as
many carriage returns as possible. (Reprinted without permission. For
this list only.)

-> Amaranth
Gluten: No
Protein Benefit: Unusually high amino acid lysine content makes it an
excellent protein
-> Arrowroot
Gluten: No
The starch of the maranta root. Not a grain; used as a grain
substitute.
-> Barley
Gluten: Yes, low amounts
-> Buckwheat/Kasha
Gluten: Yes, very small amount*
Protein Benefit: Provides all eight amino acids
-> Chickpea Flour/Graham Flour/Besan Flour
Gluten: No
Protein Benefit: Very high protein
-> Corn/Maize
Gluten: No
-> Kamut
Gluten: Yes
-> Millet
Gluten: No
-> Oats
Gluten: Yes
(She goes on to explain what oat groats, rolled oats, etc. are and how
they are made.)
-> Quinoa
Gluten: No
Protein Benefit: Complete amino acid balance
-> Rice
Gluten: No
(Goes on to list the types of rice.)
-> Rye
Gluten: Yes, low amounts
-> Sorghum
Gluten: No
-> Spelt
Gluten: Yes
-> Tapioca
Gluten: No
-> Teff
Gluten: No
-> Triticale
Gluten: Yes
-> Wheat (including Seitan)
Gluten: Yes

*The information on buckwheat is confusing since I have seen foods
which contain buckwheat yet their packaging lists them as "gluten
free." But it does explain why some react and some do not.
**She lists references to this information in the back of the book.

I hope this helps. Unfortunately, it does make the question of oats
more muddled.

Angie
Los Angeles, CA