From:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:29:33 -0500

This statement appeared in a recent post to the list:

"Red, orange or brown food dyes contain iodine and may be found in food, pills or capsules. The problem color is Red dye FD&C # 3 (erythrosine) only. FD&C Red #40 is okay. The problem is that most food labels do not specify which red dyes are used."

This is not correct. According to the FDA website:

"According to the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990, a certifiable color additive used in food must be listed in the ingredient statement by its common or usual name. All label printed after July 1, 1991 must comply with this requirement."

You can read more info on food dye on the FDA website at http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/colorfac.html

Personally, I would also dispute the statement that "FD&C Red #40 is okay" as I could introduce you to a growing number of celiacs who have adverse reactions to it, ranging from hives to neurologic changes. It has been banned in Europe for several years now.

Maureen
NorCal