From:
Scott Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 15:44:43 -0700

DON WROTE:

>You have several times made this "most" claim. I've never heard of national
>celiac groups, beyond the UK, Ireland, some of the Scandinavian countries,>
>and possibly the Netherlands, as recommending this. If you are going to
>keep making this claim, then the onus is on you to list the specific
>national celiac societies that recommend this wheat starch to their
>members. Also in the UK, they support a level of 200ppm, but some countries
>support a level of 20ppm. When you make your list of countries, please note
>whether they recommend 20ppm or 200ppm.

SCOTT RESPONDS:

Rather than compiling a list I will simply say that yes, the countries
in Europe that are doing the leading celiac disease research in the
world, including Finland, Norway, Sweden and the UK, accept Codex wheat
starch in their diets.  This acceptance is based on both follow up care
by individual doctors who found their patients recovered fine while
eating it, and on the clinical research that has been conducted in those
and other European countries.  Further, the Codex Alimentarius is not
just a "guideline for manufacturers," it represents the only
international guidelines currently available for food manufacturers, and
was created by the World Health Organization and the Food and
Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.  All of the guidelines
on gluten-free foods (ftp://ftp.fao.org/codex/standard/volume4/en/
CX_118e.pdf) have been recommended by researchers from all over the
world, and input from major celiac organizations from Europe and
elsewhere.

Further, I am not aware of any proposed 20 ppm level for wheat starch in
the Codex.  Actually that level was proposed in the Codex for "food
gluten-free by nature."  Yes, correct, foods that are naturally gluten-
free might have measurable levels of gliadin in them currently could
have over this amount!  Please see:
   http://www.celiac.com/misc.html#Alimentarius_Revisions
The current level cannot exceed 0.05 grams per 100 grams of dry material
(which I assume is 200 ppm) and has been accepted by the governments of
all European countries.

DON WROTE:

>And you didn't set up the glutenfreemall to make money? Remember you wrote
>to me in January 1999: "my business partner and I have invested a
>considerable amount of money to create and advertise The Gluten-Free Mall
>(TM), and we naturally hope that our business will succeed"

SCOTT RESPONDS:

Yes...and?  Are you still trying to say that my acceptance of Codex
wheat starch as safe for most celiacs is somehow based on my decision to
sell Odlums, the only product out of over 970 products I currently sell
at www.GlutenFreeMall.com?  Actually it's the other way around Don, I
first did my homework about Codex wheat starch, and then made the
educated decision to offer the product for those who want it.

DON WROTE:

>This was one of your first products after you opened the mall in January
>1999. This was before the study noted above was published in February 1999.
>But after the Canadian study showing distress. A summary of the Canadian
>study was published on the front page of the Spring 1995 issue of the
>Celiac News from the Canadian Celiac Association. I posted it to the list
>in August 1995, and several times afterwards.
>
>You state "study after study." How many is this?

SCOTT RESPONDS:

Correct me if I am wrong as I am going from memory, but didn't that
study deal with non-Codex wheat starch?  If so, it obviously has not
bearing on this issue.

Here are a few studies that I found quickly doing an Internet search
(the Canadian one was not found, please let me know where it was
published):

http://www.celiac.com/treat.html#wheat_starch Scand J Gastroenterol 1999
Feb;34(2):163-9 TITLE: Wheat Starch-containing Gluten-free Flour
Products in the Treatment of Coeliac Disease and Dermatitis
Herpetiformis. A Long-term Follow-up Study.  CONCLUSION: Wheat starch-
based gluten-free flour products were not harmful in the treatment of
coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&
list_uids=10522611&dopt=Abstract Scand J Gastroenterol 1999
Sep;34(9):909-14 TITLE: Persistent mucosal abnormalities in coeliac
disease are not related to the ingestion of trace amounts of gluten.
Persistent mucosal abnormalities in coeliac disease are not related to the
ingestion of trace amounts of gluten.
CONCLUSION: The persistent mucosal abnormalities seen in patients with
coeliac disease on a GFD are not due to the ingestion of trace amounts
of gluten. The consequences of these abnormalities have yet to be
determined.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&
list_uids=11063154&dopt=Abstract Scand J Gastroenterol 2000
Sep;35(9):947-9 Lohiniemi S, Maki M, Kaukinen K, Laippala P, Collin P.
Dept. of Medicine, Tampere University Hospital, University of Tampere,
Finland.  TITLE: Gastrointestinal symptoms rating scale in coeliac
disease patients on wheat starch-based gluten-free diets.  CONCLUSIONS:
Wheat starch-based gluten-free products are well-tolerated in coeliac
disease patients, provided that their diets are otherwise strict.
TITLE: Wheat deficient in gliadins: promising tool for treatment of
coeliac disease M Frisoni, GR Corazza, D Lafiandra, E De Ambrogio, C
Filipponi, F Bonvicini, E Borasio, E Porceddu, and G Gasbarrini Gut 1995
36: 375-378 Universita di Bologna, Italy

Scott Adams
www.Celiac.com