From:
Bill Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 00:53:04 -0800

I've recieved such an overwhelming amount of people e-mailing me to
ask I tell them the story behind Sapparo Beer that I have decided to
post it to the list instead of individual responses.

   The posting began when someone (sorry I don't remember who) posted a
thank you to whoever said it was alright to drink the ocassional Sapparo
beer.  I enquired to the source of Sapparo beer, as I had not heard a
thing about it and am hosting a web page on celiac safe alcohols.  (
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1256/ )

   I did a search in the celiac list webpage for postings containing
Sapparo.  The only postings were the two I have already mentioned (my
own inquiry is included) and one more.  The other posting said that
Sapparo derives its malt from barley.

   Personally, I would NEVER drink anything that contains a grain that
has gluten.  There is a theory that the gluten is broken down in the
distilation process, but this would only happen in a perfect world.  As
a student of science, I have witnessed that it is not very often that
products will break down 100%.  There is a discussion on my web page
about grain alcohols.

Hope this helps everyone,
Bill Kane
Normal, Illinois  USA