From:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:09:17 -0400

Part III

I had numbness in my hands before gluten free and it went away after. I have
never really seen a doctor about it. Though I know I should.  I get leg
muscle twitches if glutened as well.  And last October when I was frequently
eating out I was experiencing muscle weakness as well.

I keep my eating out to a minimum now and no fast food only places where I
know they are taking precautions with cc.

I also don't buy processed or packaged foods that are processed around
gluten or on shared equipment.  I buy Lundberg organic rice as I get I was
having issues with Uncle Bens.

I have sensitivities other than grains which cause hand/foot tingling and
other annoying symptoms. I was able to sort out my allergies/intolerances
with the help of a really outstanding naturopath.

Hi Chara,  I have had numbness, tingling, and swelling with burning
sensations in my hands and feet.  I have been gluten free for 5 years now.
I thought this would resolve itself after going gluten free.  I have been
pretty strict since being diagnosed with celiac and rarely eat out.  If you
get any information from others about this, I would appreciate you sharing
on this topic.  I have no idea why it is still present and neither do my
doctors.

When I was diagnosed with Celiac, I had peripheral neuropathy and the only
solution for it is "time and healing with absolutely no gluten".  This is
the diagnosis I was provided at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC.  Dr.
Green was my gastro.  If you think you are exposed to contamination, then
yeah...you may need to stay off the grains for a while.  Remember that the
US labels products as "gluten free" but they can still contain up to a
certain level of gluten and still use that label.

For me personally, as time goes by, my sensitivity to gluten has and
continues to increase so  I need to be careful.

My neuropathy comes and goes with gluten exposure. I think B vitamins might
help, but can't remember for sure. I know certain homeopathic remedies make
a big difference as well.

Oh and it helped to keep my feet extra warm at night. I wore socks. You
might try that and gloves at night.

You might want to try a sublingual (under the tongue) B12 since that's
needed for healthy nerve function.

Not only does our ability to absorb it in the GI tract decline as we age,
but most GF foods aren't vitamin enriched like their white wheat flour
counterparts. B12 is also higherst in red meat sources, which puts
vegetarians & those who have cut back on meat at risk for deficiency.
Walmart's carries SpringValley brand of sublingual B12 in 500 & 2500 doses
at a low price.  Doing the math, buying the 500 & having the flexiblity to
takes mulitple if needed, is as cost effective as buying the higher dose.

Also, the potassium nitrate in SENSITIVITY PROTECTION toothpaste, like
Sensidyne & every other brand makes one now, causes neuropathy. I had
used/abused the crest version for 7 years and nearly poisoned myself to
death before it was causing all kinds of unrelated problems my doctors
couldn't dx...After nearly 10 years is discovering the problem & avoiding
ALL forms of nitrates,my nitrate sensitivity is starting to the point where
reactions aren't immediate or severe.   It's has nothing to do with gluten,
just pure poison in the tube...I have more info on I'm happy to provide if
that's a consideration.

Once you make up your mind to go 100% gluten free and stick with it , your
neuropathy will lessen. Mine took about three years of diligent gluten free
eating. Nothing else will work but patience. I'm sorry.

I have PN for years (20 or more) and it remained undiagnosed.  This past
year I asked to be retested and the neurologist confirmed what I have known
for years.  I am not a celiac, but am gluten intolerant.  I have learned to
manage the symptoms by keeping sugar to a minimum and walking 2-3 daily.  I
find that if there are days I don't have time to walk, I notice numbness in
the feet more.  The doctors tell you that the numbness is nothing, it's when
there is pain that PN can be a problem.  And I learned that first hand; pain
/discomfort drives you to exercise and that helps a lot.  Don't have any
symtoms in hands, etc. but I would expect at finding exercises for them
would also help.

I had those same symptoms until I was treated for low thyroid.

I no longer have symptoms.

Just a thought.

And your thyroid doesn't' have to be very low to cause this, just low for a
long period of time.

Good luck.

You should consider getting an inexpensive store brand meter and strips from
Walmart or Target
and start testing yourself first thing in the AM and 1 and 2 hours after
meals.
I know I was shocked to see how high my numbers were and have been able to
bring them
down by eating to my meter readings.

bloodsugar101.com and Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book both have good
info.

You might also want to supplement with sublingual methyl B12.

*******
*******