From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 07:57:15 EDT

The Celiac List's liaisons at Burger King (Kim Miller and Martha Ramirez; phone
305-378-7277) called today to review the current status of their French fry
program.  As you may recall from my prior posts, BK has been experimenting with
"stealth fries" in some of their units.  The stealth fries are coated to
improve heat retention and flavor.  The original coating included gluten and
milk.  Due in part to customer complaints (including complaints from celiac
families), the coating has now been reformulated to exclude gluten and milk.

As of May 1997, the coated fries use rice flour and potato starch.  Martha said
that each unit typically orders only a week's supply of fries, so that the
prior inventory of gluten-fries should be exhausted by now.  Note: the coated
fries do contain some corn syrup, for those of you allergic to corn.

The stealth fry program is still experimental, so is not available at all BK
locations.  The "old" fries never had a problem with gluten in the ingredient
list.  BK said they will make a major announcement in the press if they either
drop the stealth experiment, or if they extend it to cover all of their units.

As with any restaurant, you still need to check to see if French fries are
contaminated with gluten from the frying oil.  At all Burger Kings, they are
required to use different frying units for all other products, and French fries
have their own fryers.  The oils are not co-mingled between fryers.  This is
the theory -- I once found a unit (outside Santa Fe) which violated this
policy.  The BK liaisons actually assisted in "teaching" this unit the
importance of following corporate policy.

Burger King asked our assistance in spreading this new information to those who
are intolerant of wheat and/or milk.  Please pass this on to your local support
groups.  While we will never know for sure why BK changed their product
formulation, you may also wish to call BK to thank them for being responsive to
our needs.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles