From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:42:43 AST

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know how I made out with
the gluten free diet on my tour to Britain and Ireland for anyone
who is going or considering going.

First, though, I must tell you what I heard  on the TV in London, my
last night there!  It was a news magazine type of show, and my
ears perked up when I heard celiac disease, the segment (I missed
the beginning of it), was regarding a Dr Anderson or Henderson,
something like that who has been working on celiac disease
research, and he said that within 1 to 2 years there will be a
vaccine for celiac disease!  Well I nearly fell on the floor, and
thought, did I hear that correctly, and yes, that is what he said!!
It's a vaccine that you would take once a year and would prevent
the protein gluten from damaging the villa, attacking the immune
system, they described it in  more medical terms, but that is the
jest of it.  I had no idea anything like that was even being
researched, has anyone else heard of this, anyone on the list from
the UK that is aware of this???  It gave me some hope, wouldn't
that be great!!

Anyway, my trip was wonderful, and I didn't have much problems
with the gluten free meals, my tour director was fabulous, and
introduced the head waitress/waiter to me for the breakfasts and
dinners, full english breakfast, I had bacon, eggs, potato and fruit,
the continental breakfast, which we only had twice was pointless, I
brought some cereal with me, just in case, and always had a
supply of bananas on me.  Most lunches weren't included, but you
didn't have much time to eat at the lunch stops anyway,  I brought
some gluten free snacks with me, corn chips, rice cakes, cereal,
and a huge supply of mixed nuts, cookies etc.  So at lunch I would
have a banana and some mixed nuts, and maybe a bag of potato
chips.  Cookies for a snack. Dinners were fairly plain, potato,
carrots, peas, and meat, with no sauce, fruit for an appetizer and
fruit for dessert. Had a lot of fruit!!!!

I didn't get a chance to search for stores that stocked gluten free
products, didn't have time, we were fairly regimented and only had
a certain amount of time during our breaks.

Anyway, I survived and certainly didn't go hungry, I did forget
however to contact the airlines (Canadian Airlines) to order gluten
free meals, my itineray didn't indicate meals, so I assumed there
was none,  thank goodness I brought lots of snacks.

Back to the grind!!!!

Jane
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada