From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:27:50 -0700

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that people having both Celiac and bad skin
probably want to not put anything containing gluten on their faces, according
to the messages I got.  I hadn't been caring too much about outside stuff, but
thought I might as well get rid of it.  My actual thought process was that
gluten is like rat poison to me.  I wouldn't put rat poison on my face "just
because I couldn't prove it hurt me", so I'm not going to do it with gluten,
either.  (I know this is a subject lots of people have opinions on, but this
is my personal decision, so please don't write to tell me it's useless).

Also, I did have a message telling me that of course everything is diet
related, and I shouldn't stop ferreting out things that bother me.  I won't,
since I've learned to listen to my body since living with CD.  However, there
are things besides food which cause acne (pollution, stress, hormones...I
could name many, many examples).  This person said that people in "primitive"
societies don't or didn't have acne, and they also didn't eat soy, sugar, etc,
and didn't have acne.  I don't believe we can know for sure that people
in "primitive" societies don't have skin problems, since they probably
have preservation of life on their mind instead of skin.  However, even if
it were established as fact, I don't agree the two things are related in a
cause/effect way.  But I do agree that diet makes a big difference and that we
shouldn't eat things we believe cause us harm in any way.  And I definitely
won't stop trying to figure out what the problems are for my personal body.

Thanks for the continued input and have a great weekend!

-Christie in Chandler, AZ