From:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:51:23 -0600

Although clearly many folks on this list really do react to canola (diarrhea, cramping), it may well be that the notion of cross-contamination with wheat is not the cause. Here is a reply from the Canola Council of Canada. I have not heard back from their U.S. counterpart yet. This does confirm the notion that canola is indeed grown in fallow wheat fields, however, and does not completely rule out cross-contamination. Unlike oats, however, the seed size is different enough that in theory it should be properly separated out. How much wheat, how much contact, what sort of cleaning before processing for oil - this I do not know. I do know that folks recognize allergic reactions and gluten reactions as different, and that their reactions to canola are the same as their gluten reactions. Interesting!
Hilary

Hi;

It's very unlikely that there would be any issue with cross-contamination with wheat, since wheat and canola seeds are considerably different in size. Any properly operated cleaning equipment should have no problems separating wheat from canola. Also, most herbicides commonly used in canola production will control volunteer wheat, so again, there should be little in the way of volunteer wheat in a resulting canola crop.

Hope that helps.

John Mayko
Agronomic Research & Extension Manager
Canola Council of Canada