From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:07:30 -0500

I was just happily reading thru the recipe for gluten-free vegan
chili and almost fell off the desk chair.  One of the ingredients is
Liquid Smoke.

I've had three encounters with Liquid Smoke, and my son has had one -
we are both celiacs and also chemically sensitive.  For both of us,
Liquid Smoke turns us into zombies.  I don't know how nor why, but my
third experience was a test - having fallen asleep in the middle of
dinner (at a party where I was a guest).  I was in my 50's at the
time.  The dinner was so tasty, I phoned for the recipe and my son
was a guest for dinner that night. That time both of us fell asleep.
And both of us were groggy the whole second day.  The first time I
had had a glass of red wine.  Second experience no alcohol.

I put two and two together and decided to experiment. I cooked the
same recipe again, and again lost the evening and most of the next
day to a no-brain experience.  The flavor is wonderful.  For us, the
reaction was not worth the flavor.  So I feel it is at least wise to
let you know. Perhaps our experience is idiosyncratic, as my
non-celiac husband ate the same food with no reaction.  One of the
main ingredients in Liquid Smoke is MSG.  Perhaps that was the
problem - I don't know for sure.

Gayle Kennedy