Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:23:29 -0500

Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me about Puerto Rico. Summary below.
Amy, Boston
________________________________

I have been to Puerto Rico various times, and regularly next door in the
Dominican Republic.  I have no trouble eating local foods.  Tourist places
would be questionable.  Wheat is not used in the local Latin foods except
for bread, which can easily be avoided.  Local diets are based on rice,
potato, and other root/tuber type starches plus beans and local veggies.
Fresh fruit is regularly available and much better than what we get here in
the stores.
__________________________________
 Definitely visit el Yunque (the rainforest) and take your bathing
suit with you so you can swim in the waterfalls to cool off after your hikes.
And stop at one of the little roadside restaurants to buy a coconut drink.  I
don't recall what they call it, but it's where they lop off the top of a coconut
and stick a straw in it so you can drink the milk.  If you get a really good
one, it's just the sweetest natural taste!  And if you've never had tostones, I
highly recommend having some at a restaurant - they're fried plantain slices and
are just yummy, kinda like french fries only way better (assuming you like fried
foods).  Unfortunately, I don't have any specific recommendations as to where to
stay or eat, as I stayed with my friends and mostly ate home-made island meals
which my friend ensured were gf.  However, when we did dine out, I never had a
problem finding something delicious to eat.  Seafood, pork and root veggies are
big there, so if you like those you'll not have a problem.  I don't recall
whether I ever ate anything requiring tortillas, so I can't attest to whether I
had to specifically request corn tortillas.
We have traveled to Puerto Rico with my now, 14 year old Celiac daughter. Thanksgiving 2003, we stayed at the Westin Rio Mar and had a wonderful experience. Chef Robert was more than accommodating. He went shopping for GF items and upon our arrival took me to his office to show me all he had bought. We are on an all inclusive (with 18 family members) and whichever restaurant we ate in they were happy to accommodate my daughters' needs.

Thanksgiving 2004, we stayed at the Paradisus. The resort was only open a short time and I think they were afraid of a law suit if something went wrong. Initially, they didn't seem like they would be able to accommodate the GF diet, but in the end, it all worked out fine.

In both cases, I spoke/emailed Food and Beverage prior to our arrival and even had some of the menus faxed to me ahead of time.

At the Westin, when my daughter wanted a hamburger, they ground filet mignon for her, since they were unsure of what was in the premade burgers!!!