From:
Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:49:22 -0600

There seems to be a general consensus that the best restaurants in SF aren't necessarily in the downtown area. I have decided not to hassle with Oriental. I'm crossing my fingers that there is still some authentic historic atmosphere left somewhere and even if there isn't, hopefully just being present in the moment of a Great American City will be enough. A special shout out to an extremely helpful and knowledgeable Listmate who reaffirms my faith in our List. The following are suggestions are from fellow Listmates. I cannot guarantee a gluten free experience at any of these places and I am not affiliated in anyway with any of the listed businesses.

Alma 1101 Valencia - Central American

Tapas Place - Illuna Basque

Hog Island Oyster Company - Ferry Bldg.

Market Restaurant - Ferry Bldg.

500 Jackson (Fish)

Firenze By Night - 1429 Stockton Street, 415.392.8585

Piperade - Basque, French, Spanish

Bizou

Swan Oyster Depot (watch out for flying cracker crumbs) - Nob Hill area

Alioto's (wharf): At Aliotos I spoke with Chef Nunez and Nick is the manager. The Escargot, steamed mussels marianara, and Combination Saute ( with no brown sauce) were delicious.

Scoma's (wharf): For excellent Italian food. I have been going there for almost 40 years. The last time I was there, one of the chef's (Kevin) cooked my GF spaghetti and used their carbonara (house) sauce.

North Beach Restaurant

L'Osteria

Boulevard

McCormick and Kuleto's - Ghiradelli Square

Zuni Café

Ana Mandera

Cheesecake Factory in Union Square. Beware their rice paper rolls, they have wheat noodles or soy sauce in them and are premade, so they can't make them fresh.

Sushi Boat - Geary near Hotel Monaco/ Hotel Adagio. Downstairs.

Millenium - vegan - They will make something special, I hear, if you phone first.

Barcelona - In the financial district. In a hard to find alley off of California.

Café Marimba on Chestnut. It is authentic Oaxacan (Mexican). There are many fresh taco options, fish, shrimp, mushroom, etc. Their sweet potato puree is out of this world. There Agua Frescas are great (fruity drinks), guac, salsa, all great. Stay away from the Mole Negra-rich brown sauce,it has bread in it.
Cha-am, a Thai restaurant near Moscone center, I believe it's on 4th. Their Pad Thai is good, no soy sauce. Their curries are good. Their mango and sticky rice is great-dessert.
Long Life Noodle Co. The "Laksa Luck" a big bowl of soup and rice noodles, kind of curry flavor, shrimp, onions. Their mint and melon cooler (drink) is really refreshing.

Thanks and don't forget to vote Democrat in November - Laurie