From:
Christina Kuhne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 06:08:12 +1100

Dear Listmates

Thank you to all those that replied I tried to thank each one personally
but due to the amount of replies I may have missed one, if I did please
know I appreciated each and everyone of you taking the time to reply.

There were several people who wanted a summary as they to will be
undergoing a colonoscopy shortly.  There was one person who had one the
day after my post and was kind enough to email me after her procedure to
let me all went well.

I had several peole tell me there is nothing to a colonoscopy, this I
already knew because I have had one prior to being Gluten free.

So here is a summary of the replies I recieved in regard to the
precautions we need to take regarding the medications we may get.

This reply seems to cover everything.

The relaxant (whatever the generic for Versed is) must be gluten free.
This is an IV.

If you have Demerol (pain killer) IV, that must be gluten free
Powder-free gloves worn by doctor and all in contact with you or
in contact with the instruments.

Lubricant, if any, on colonoscopy instrument must be gluten-free.

Don't let them feed you any cookies afterward unless they are
Pamela's gluten-free varieties (which they won't have).

Pure apple juice after is OK.

You'll only be able to have clear liquids the day before.

This reply was recieved from a nurse

Well, usually they use intravenous narcotics to sedate you for the
procedure I think they will use IV NS 0.9% or LR. You will receive an IV
on admission this is where the narcotic's will be introduce.  The IV
will be kept at a KVO rate probably 25cc/hr with either solution I
mention above until you are ready to be exam and then the nurse
administers the narcotics I think it is Versed and Demerol you will need
to tell the doctor of your gluten status ahead so he can find
appropriate drugs without gluten or check those stats on the drugs I
mention.

This from a person due to have one next month we will probably being
having ours around the same time.

. The preparation consists of clear diet for the day before. And then 2
oral laxatives the night before. So you'll just need to be sure those
are GF. Maybe take some GF clears liquids to the hospital to have  after
your procedure, and maybe something to eat because a lot of times they
want you to keep something down before you go home.

Here is something for those with allergies.

The only problem I had was with the anaesthesia,  demerol...and you may
not be allergic to that.  So I suggest you discuss that subject with the
doctor first,  it's only a light sedative for most people, and it will
all be over before you know it.  Not to dread, and certainly a good idea
if you've never had one.

There were a few who mentioned in their replies to beware of the IV
drugs, correct me if I am wrong but I remember reading on here sometime
ago that for gluten to affect us it needs to go through the digestive
system IV drugs go through the blood stream, could anyone clarify this
for me please.

Once agin thank you for all your caring replies I have just used a few
her that summed up the majority of replies.

Happy Holidays
Christina