From:
Anne M Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne M Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:27:09 -0500

Thank you for your responses!  Majority responded that it is a good idea to get the flu shot but not if you are allergic to eggs.  See responses below:
_______________________________________
I don't get the flu shot...instead I take THE FLU SOLUTION, a homeopathic
remedy...you take one vial a month.   In all the years I've been taking it, no one
in my family has ever gotten the flu

If you are not allergic to eggs, get it.

I do not know the general concensus.  All I know is that my pedi-GI has
recommended it for my daughter and we have done it every year for 4 years
with not adverse effects

Yes, Yes, Yes!  You may also want to check out the pneumonia shot.  I had one, (you do it every 5 years), and I'm 42.

I was warned years ago by my doctor not to have flu shots not because gluten
but because they are grown/incubated in eggs.   I have a egg yolk
problem/allergy.

So if you are truly doing a great job on being gluten free and not eating a
lot of sugar or processed foods, you should notice a difference in the
illnesses you ARE NOT GETTING.

I have 5 children and they as I am are gluten free, we are rarely sick.  The
2 illnesses we had this year were one with swimmers ear and the twins, 21
month olds got a mucus type of virus.  Otherwise we are all healthily and
well.

Yes, and pneumonia.  Because our immune system is compromised

Lets see, I am 66 years old and have gotten a flu shot in at least 35 of those years. Guess I was a celiac the whole time. If I had any ill effects before I went GF 8 years ago I do not remember in among all the other things I had. In the past 8 GF years I have had a shot four or five years and again do not believe I had any ill effects. Come to think of it "why would one have a problem with a flu shot"? I expect you will get other similar answers.

Based on the best information I have, Flu Vaccine normally contains ingredients
from three kinds of flu virus, "which are grown in hens' eggs", then killed and
purified before being made into the vaccine.

New vaccines are prepared each year to protect against the kinds of flu virus
expected that year.

The only cautions I have seen suggest that you avoid the vaccine if you have an
allergy to eggs.  Of course, it's best to check with your primary health
provider for your individual circumstances, and antiviral drugs are available
for this use, though the drugs are not as effective as the vaccine ...

I get a flu shot each year.  Certainly with our impared immune systems we
need to take all the precautions we can.  Many of us also have secondary
medical concerns which lend to the need for protection for this potentially
deadly malady.  I would recommend a flu shot.

For what it's worth, I ALWAYS get a flu shot in the late fall/early winter.  Our immune systems are compromised with Celiac and any other immune-related disease we might have. (I have Hoshimoto's, too.)  A bout with the flu could be bad or worse.

Injectables are g.f.   I get the shot because I deal with a lot of older people through the support group & other volunteer activities and would not want to pass it along to them. (Although now I'm getting closer to being one of them!)

I just recently emailed the CDC, and they state that the flu shot and pneumonia shots are GF and safe for celiacs.  The CDC said they recommeded that everyone get the flu shot, as long as they did not have a serious health issue.  Then they should talk to their doctor first.  Celiac Disease is not what they would consider a serious health issue, cancer, etc is.

Having an autoimmune disease can increase your chances of having an immunological response to a vaccine.  I only know this, because I had a very serious complication after a routine tetanus vaccine.  Do a little asking around, and then make an informed decision. Best wishes.

End of summary.....