Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:23:56 -0500

Hi, this is something that has been bugging me for the seven years I have
been diagnosed. I don't refer to myself as "a celiac". I say I have "celiac
sprue."  This is for two reasons. By far the primary one is that I don't
like to be identified by my health status for the reasons that you mention
(I'm also a health professional and try to avoid the labeling of the people
I work with in this way).

The other reason I don't use the term celiac to describe myself is that it's
inaccurate and ungrammatical. The condition we have is "sprue," which is a
condition that causes malabsorption in the gut. "Celiac" is an adjective
meaning "of or in or belonging to the cavity of the abdomen." The term
"celiac sprue" distinguishes it from "tropical sprue," a condition which has
similar symptoms but is completely unrelated to ingestion of gluten. So to
call myself a celiac would be to call myself an "abdominal."

OK, OK, sorry for the lecture. I have resigned myself to knowing that
referring to oneself as a "celiac" has entered common usage, so mine will be
a lonely, unheeded voice.  Thanks for bearing with my moment on a soapbox. I
wish everyone the best of health and happiness and delicious gluten free eating!

Best,
Mary

Hi everyone,

I have a question for the group. As a healthcare professional I have avoided
referring to patients by their diagnosis or medical condition. For example:
A patient with diabetes would not be referred to as a "Diabetic" instead
they would be referred to as "Mr. Jones who has diabetes"; the idea is that
the person is much more than the particular label and comes first.

Anyhow, I have noticed that people with Celiac Disease often are referred to
as "Celiacs" (by others and within the group). As a newly diagnosed "Celiac"
I find I don't mind the label within our group but don't particularly like
it being used by "outsiders" (people who don't have CD).

Any thoughts on this?

Marge