From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 08:17:27 EDT

Philip Lipetz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Burger King claims to NOT distribute french fires containing wheat in
>California.  After become ill I checked with a local manager and he told
>me that they were selling wheat containing french fries.  Even he
>was not aware that that had happened.

>Moral - the head office does not always no what is shipped to every
>store.  If it is anywhere in the systmes you must protect yourself in
>all stores.

In private email, Phil told me the store in question was in downtown San
Francisco and the event was several months ago.  Today, I spoke with Kim Miller
(305) 378-7277 at Burger King.  She is in the communications department and is
in charge of the consumer response to the new gluten-containing french fries
tests.  I told her about your experience, and she was at a complete loss to
explain how this could have occurred.  She said that no California sites have
ever been part of the testing.

Kim asked me to give out her phone number, so that anyone who has a problem
with gluten reactions to BK foods will know who to call.  This would include
any BK units that violate the corporate policy of complete isolation of the
french fry oil vats from the oil used for breaded products.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles