From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:55:05 -0800

Ok, wow boy did I ever get a whipping but good for suggesting that paper
towels might have gluten in them. For what its worth, the only reason I ever
became concerned about this issue is because several people on this list
have emailed me telling me that paper towels can indeed contain gluten.
Efforts to request follow-up information (i.e. are you sure? which brands do
and dont?) have not yielded any responses.

So please dont shoot the messenger, ok? That said, most people reacted with
respectful surprise at the idea of paper towels containing gluten. Some
people said "No they do not" others said the only thing to worry about is
the first and last of each roll (the ones with the glue that stick) because
its the glue thatmight have wheat in it like a stamp.

My concerns about getting gluten trapped in the non-stick surface of my
grill via paper towels were met with mostly "dont worry about it, its not an
issue, as long as you arent cooking with gluten-products". I called Bounty
today and was informed that none of their paper towel products have gluten
in them. But I'm sure I've cleaned my grill with paper towels other than
Bounty, so I'm still a little unsure about. Someone suggested that I use
aluminum foil between the food and surfaces of the grill if I am really
worried about getting trace gluten from paper towels on my food (great
suggestion).

I personally cannot confirm whether or not this is a valid concern (cleaning
a non-stick surface with a paper towel and getting gluten from the towel
trapped in the surface which can come out on your susbequent food). I'll
keep looking around. I anyone a chemist? can anyone verify scientifically
that paper towels on warm non-stick surfaces are no an issue, period?

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. (paper plates and coffee filters are
another issue althogether - oye! I gotta look into that too).