Date:
Sat, 28 May 2005 19:29:22 -0500

Thank you everyone who replied. I have not yet obtained this, but now I
know where to get it.  Here's the info:

Chemistry of carboxymethylcellulose:  http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hycmc.html

http://www.wholefoods.com/healthinfo/carboxymethyl.html

EnerG foods carries it. $8.25/8 oz;  Gluten Free Pantry & Miss Roben’s may
carry it.

Some people love it, use it all the time.

One person thought it was difficult for amateur baker to use, based on
printed info from Ener-G.

Use guar or xanthan  instead.  They’re all just veg. gums.

Crush up citrucel tabs.  GF status of citrucel ???

Function as a binder, like gelatin

An indigestible carb that can cause gas & overgrowth of unfriendly bacteria.

Methylcellulose absorbs water and kind of jells a little and glues it
together. You may have to add a little more water.  If you put too much
methyl in it will actually hinder rising. We use about 1 tsp. per cup of
rice flour.

It is a very fine powder and blends well in baked goods.