From:
Jill Fenske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:22:52 -0700

Hello all...I have never posted to the list before, mainly because I'm not
a diagnosed celiac, but now I have a question:
I have had allergies since I was about 12, and was scratch-tested
around that age, told I was allergic to dust mites and cats and it
was left at that.  After many bouts with sinusitis, sinus infection,
bronchitis, and failed attempts to rid my life of "dust mites", I spoke
with a nutritionist who told me to try avoiding dairy and wheat.
I did...and *POOF* no more allergies.  Now I only get flareups when
I "cheat" and have a piece of cheese or pizza or something.  (Since I'm
not diagnosed celiac, I figured it was only a matter of inconvenience,
not health).  Now I'm 26, have been avoiding dairy and wheat for 2 years,
I was scratch tested for dairy, wheat allergies a few months ago, with
negative restults.  Yesterday, I found blood in my stool.  I've had bloating
and gas problems for as long as I can remember, but figured it was normal.  Doc
said today that (after checking for hemhorroids and finding none), that I may
have either gastroenteritis or irritable bowel syndrome.  Now, since I've been
reading this list, this sounds like a familiar scenario.  I'm scheduled
for a barium enema x-ray a week from today, and if that shows nothing,
they are going to do an endoscopy.  I'm wondering...should I start a
"gluten challenge" of a sort, just in case they end up doing the endoscopy?
Do these problems sound familiar to anyone?  I'm a little scared, and since
my doctor kind of brushed me off when I suggested celiac a while ago, I'm
not quite sure how to approach this without seeming like a hypochondriac.
Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jill in CA

PS...thanks for all the GREAT recipes and advice you all provide!