From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:21:47 -0500

Hi All--

After being gf for four months now and feeling some better, but not
completely where I think I should be, I'm wondering about food
allergies. I am currently getting allergy shots for grasses, trees,
weeds, molds and dust mites, which is helping, but my allergist refuses
to test me for foods unless I am experiencing hives or burning mouth
when I eat foods. Evidently, he doesn't believe allergies or
intolerances to foods can cause gastrointestinal symptoms.

Can anyone tell me how to go about being tested for foods or the best
way to pinpoint, on my own, what foods may be offensive? I know I'm
lactose intolerant and have recently discovered peanut butter gives me
problems. What is the best way of testing for food allergies? Several
people have mentioned an ELISA test - what is that? If my current
allergist won't test for food allergies, how do I convince my PCP to
refer me to another doctor?

Sorry for so many questions. Because of the added stress I've
experienced lately with the death of a friend, I know I may be getting a
bit of a kick-back; however, before I even tried the gf diet, I
suspected food allergies or intolerances, but again, my allergist
wouldn't test me because I don't exhibit specific symptoms. Also, why do
celiacs seem to develop additional food intolerances once they become
gf? I'm thinking this may be the reason I've not improved more on the gf
diet.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Ayn.