From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:49:16 -0700

Hi all, my roommate is a medical student at the University of California San
Francisco and she receives every issue of the New England Journal of
Medicine. I was just perusing some of her issues out of curiosity and
realized that the June 19 issue has several articales about Celiac Disease.
The articles are called "Celiac Disease - How to Handle a Clinical
Chemeleon" by A. Fasano, "Prevelance of Celiac DIsease among Children in
FInland" by M. Maki and Others, as well as the subject line of this post by
R. McManus and D. Kelleher.

It was interesting that in the "The Villian Unmasked" they said that some
researchers have "recently identified a peptide that probably initiates the
disease, raising the posssiblity that strategic inroads can be made into the
disorder."

Also interesting that in the introduction to the same article they refer to
Celiac as  a COMMON autoimmune condition. I know that the issue of
prevalance has been controversial in the Celiac Community, with many in the
medical establishment clinging to the idea that the disorder is extremely
rare. Might things be changing?

Anyway, you can probably find the articles on Medline. I just thought some
might be interested.

Jupiter