From:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:27:04 -0700

The majority of responses I received said that it's
Fleischman's Unsalted margarine that is casein-free,
as well as gluten-free, not the Light.  The Light
margarine, since it does have whey in it, is not safe
for people who need to eat casein-free.  ("Light"
anything is usually a problem, I'm told, as it often
has added sugar, salt or starch to compensate for
what's been left out to make the product "light.")

One person said that Fleischman's Light is labeled
"kosher pareve" on their grocery shelves, which would
mean it was dairy-free.  (It's not labeled so here in
Oklahoma.)  Another person said that they had been
told it was lactose free, and that it was working for
them (I guess that would mean it can have whey
[protein] and still be lactose- [milk sugar-] free,
but I don't know, really; we have been avoiding all
dairy, including lactose.)

Other GF/CF margarine suggestions were Shedd's Willow
Run, Crystal Farms, Mother's Margarine and Parkay
Light.  Of these, I've seen only Parkay Light on our
grocery-store shelves (and I actually thought it had
whey in it, too; I'll have to check again.)

We usually buy Hain's safflower oil margarine at the
health food store, but they close mid-evening, and I
had hoped to identify something that the "regular"
grocery carried that we could substitute if needed.  I
have found one store that carries Fleischman's
Unsalted now.  I'll look again for the other brands .
. .

Thanks everyone!

Deborah in OKC