From:
karen brinser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:38:10 -0500

Maybe someone can help me with this.  Ever since I developed autoimmune
problems such as CD and ITP, which is low platelet count,  I seem to
have problems with antibiotics.  It seems that I can take them for
awhile and then I develop an allergic reaction to them.  First, I went
through penicillin, then bactrim, now I woke up this morning with
blotches on my thighs.  This I found kind of interesting since usually I
get them on my chest and arms.  Anyway, now it seems I can't take
Keflex.

Since I don't have a spleen, whenever I get sick with a respiratory
infection that appears to be bacterial my doctor wants me to start
antibiotics.  The concern for me is pneumonia and other diseases that
the spleen was helpful in fighting.  I don't know if my continuing
problems with antibiotics is due to autoimmunity in general or if there
might be some gluten in the drugs that may be causing this problem due
to my celiac disease.  However,  I don't have problems with DH.  Any
suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen