From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:03:35 -0600

I got many responses to my request for information on milk substitutes that
are also gluten free -- in England and Wales -- and thanks to all of you.
Along with this information I was also given tips on travel in the U.K. in
general, and there were an equal number of requests to summarize!

All the information in this email, including live links to the websites
mentioned (and more) can be found on a new page on my web:

  http://www.nowheat.com/grfx/nowheat/primer/england.htm

I will update the above page once I have returned from England (though it
may be a while before I get around to it).

  **** THE SUMMARY ****

==> Food Lists, Gluten-Free, Milk-Free and More <==

  (I have yet to see these, as I had them sent to my father-in-law
  who will meet us at the airport. However I have word from him that
  they have arrived.)

UK Coeliac Society has a website and can be emailed at [log in to unmask]
They volunteered to send a list -- which I can pay for when I arrive -- to
wherever I would be staying when I got there.

Marks & Spencer has a website. Click on "Contact Our Customer Services" at
the bottom of the page. From there you can send them a message, get phone
numbers, and see what "-free" food lists they offer. They were very quick
to respond and very helpful. You can email them directly at

Tesco
Provides a gluten-free and milk-free list, usually available for browsing
by asking the manager (if the current edition is only a few pages, they may
photocopy it for you). You can also ring them up in advance and have a list
sent to you. I found them very willing to help. Phone numbers can be found
on their website on the "Contact" page, or you can send a note to them on
their "Help" page.

==> Milk Substitutes that are Gluten-Free <==

Can often be found in local grocery stores, usually kept with the canned
milk, in the same long-life packaging we're familiar with in the U.S.

  *  Provamel. A soya milk, and a soya (also there's a soya yogurt
     called 'Yofu' in plain and fruit varieties)
  *  Vitasoy. In long life packaging (liquid)
  *  Tesco Soya Milk Unsweetened. 1 litre or 500ml carton

==> The Word on Regular Stores (if not listed above) <==

Boots "the Chemist" should have or be able to get gluten-free items but if
you have not had them prescribed to you through the national health, they
might be a little pricey. (Also be aware that British coeliac standards
allow the use of wheat-starch which has been specially prepared to reduce
the amount of gluten in it; I hear these items are delicious but do not
want to get used to wheat again, or make my son familiar with the flavor.
Not all gluten-free items there contain wheat starch but, as always, read
labels!)

Sainsbury: No further info on this grocery chain.

Safeway: Ditto.

Asda: Is reputed to be very knowledgeable and helpful with specialized
diets.

Waitrose: Also has a good reputation for being helpful, but is a fairly
small chain.

==> Health Food Stores <==

Holland & Barrett
GNC
Rosemary's
Health & Diet Centre

==> Milk-Free Information <==

No Cow's Milk For Me, Thanks! -- this U.K site for the milk allergic and
lactose intolerant has lots and lots of information, including even "where
to buy" milk-free items if you are traveling in the United Kingdom.

==> Reading Labels <==

From Sue, who used to live in Oxford, I gained the following information on
labeling:
You can also look at food labels, which give a bit more information than
here. British and European governments don't allow as many artificial
ingredients in foods as American governments do. Canned and packaged goods
will often specify whether they are GF with the international symbol: a
stalk of grain in a circle with a slash through it. Not all foods have
this, but most of the main brands do.

--
Linda Blanchard
http://www.nowheat.com