From:
lovegrov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:20:17 -0500

A quick follow-up on my summary about whether folks have found products where
they actually use wheat on production lines to keep things from sticking.

I reported that one person was certain her daughter had a reaction to 3M
rubber bands for braces, and apparently 3M said there might be wheat (which I
failed to report). I just got a message back from 3M quality control and they
report the powder used on the rubber bands is Biosorb, which is 98 percent
cornstarch and 2 percent magnesium oxide, which is an anti-caking agent. No
wheat.

I was also castigated for not accurately quoting the person who wrote me about
See's Candies. I said she thought they used wheat in candy production, when
what she said was they DO use wheat flour in the chocolate enrobing process on
some chocolates. The company has confirmed this to me but did not answer my
specific question about whether the wheat is listed in the ingredients. They
also did not tell me which products use this process. Apparently because they
use flour for some products, they consider everything in that facility
possibly contaminated BUT not because they flour all the lines -- which they
don't. As for what they do consider GF, they gave me the same list I posted
earlier, which is only a tiny percentage of what they make.

The bottom line remains the same -- wheat flour apparently is not generally
used to keep products from sticking. I am NOT advising that anybody stop
asking the question, but I also don't think this is the threat that most of us
were taught it was.

richard