From:
Kristina Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 21:57:27 -0600

Thanks to all who replied to my query for information on the
safeness of cold filtered ciders and the powdered Barleygreen
product.  In short, many seem to have good luck with ciders, though
there were cautions regarding the gluten-free status of the process
itself, particularly at Hornsby's manufacturer, Gallo.  I only got
one semi-related response regarding Barleygreen (actually in
response to a query about a sprouted wheat product in a form not
clear from the context of the message), but have opted not to use
the product myself.  Relevant passages follow:

Re:  Ciders

"...found Blackthorn's a delightful refreshment.  After diagnosis, and with
another trip coming up, contacted British Coeliac Society to ask about
ciders.  They gave me a "thumbs up"--no glutens!!!  Have been trying a few
local ciders (lots of NW micro-brewers have been adding them to their
line--somewhat nervous about cross-contamination), but have also found that
Three Sisters Raspberry Cider can't be beat.  I really prefer this one to
Hornsby's.  Also like Woodchuck which comes from Vermont.  My son (the micro
expert) said that Hornsby's is made by Gallo wines."

Hornbsy is GF the process is not and there fore is not GF. I have tried
Woodchuck dark and Amber which is supposed to be GF, however its so bad
that you can't consider it a beer substitute. Lots of luck."

"I've also been drinking the [Ace] pear and Hornsby's cider in our local
British pub.  My English boyfriend was slightly horrified to find out I
couldn't drink beer.  But once he discovered cider was available in Trader
Joes, the supermarkets and even ON TAP at the pub, he falls over himself to
ask if I want some.  (I think he just likes the fact that it looks like
beer.)  "

"Like you, I have also experimented with Woodpecker, Blackthorn in the UK and
had no ill-effects."

RE:  Barleygreen

"Subject:      Re: Query:  sprouted wheat

Reply from Don Kasarda, Albany, California

Most sprouted wheat still has gluten or gluten peptides remaining.  Although
the sprouting begins enzymatic action that starts to break down the gluten (a
storage protein for the plant) into peptides and even amino acids.  Generally
this is not a complete process for sprouts used in foods so some active
peptides (active in celiac disease) remain.  I don't know anything about
Bioguard specifically, but I would be cautious about it until the company can
say on what basis they are claiming "gluten-free."  For example, how have
they tested this?"