From:
Eliyanah Delicate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 15:21:31 -0500

A few more pudding responses:

Beth in Wisconsin
I think pudding is one of my favorite foods as probably most people!  I made
a recipe up with the ingredients that I can have but I can eat soy so you
will have to find a substitue for the soymilk, I don't know if you could use
nutmilks or potato milks.  Can you have eggs?  I just put 2 eggs in a pan
and add 3/4 cup maple syrup, 7 or 8 Tablespoons of tapioca starch and stir
to mix well.  Then add 4 cups of soymilk and stir till smooth.  I use a
pudding wisk or wire wisk to get smooth.  Heat over medium high heat
stirring constantly so mixture does not scorch! You can add a teaspoon of
vanilla when thickened if desired.  If you want carob or chocolate you can
add that in the beginning before you add the milk.  It turns out very well.
The only tapioca starch that works like cornstarch is from a company called
ESSEN  you can order directly.  Their web site is www.essen-nutrition.com.
Good luck!  [Note: thank you Beth, I made this the day I got it! Yum. I used
coconut milk for the dairy, and whatever tapioca starch was in the cupboard.
Hm...I wonder if there is still some left in the fridge...]

I would up the other flavors--for example, add a teas of powdered coffee and
a pinch of cloves to chocolate pudding, nutmeg to vanilla or butterscotch,
etc Ann [she also mentioned using arrowroot in place of cornstarch]

...tapioca is often used instead of cornstarch to thicken puddings.
There's a good pudding recipe (including dairy) on the Minute brand
tapioca box.  Some commercial pudding mixes contain tapioca powder.

Tapioca pudding has nothing but the tapioca pearls or pieces milk, sugar and
vanilla!  [I have tapioca pearls in the cupboard. I was personally looking
for something like the arrowroot suggestion to make a smooth pudding]

[I also received a fabulous sounding desert recipe that is safe for me
to eat!]

This is not a pouding recipe, it's more like a flan and it is free of corn
and soy. It is an old traditional French recipe and it's delicious. I make
it with Lacteeze milk (1% lactose) available at grocery stores. Here is one
my favorite GF dessert:

5 eggs
1 cup sugar
mix together

1/2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed or store bought)
1/2 cup lacteeze milk
lemon rind (1 teaspoon)
mix together then with sugar mix

Poor in a glass pie plate & Bake at 350 F, 15-20 min

Alternative:
For a gorgeous lemon pie, poor the mixture onto a pre-baked pie shell
(same cooking time)
Enjoy!

Caroline St-Pierre
Victoriaville, Qc

So this is the second, and I hope last pudding summary!  Thank you all
for your responses.

Take care,
    Eliyanah Delicate
    Ottawa, Canada