From:
Kevin Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:57:53 +0000

Mildred writes:

>Is there any such thing as having a too low cholesterol level/risk >factor?
>Any scientific publication on the relationship of cd to >cholesterol which I
>could show my doctor?
>Is there any valid scientific study on benefits of diet, food
>supplementation, and exercise on cholesterol?

There have been a few recent studies which seem to indicate that there
may be a risk on having cholesterol too low.  I would not panic
because the research is still new and we need to find out more.  There
are people who naturally have a cholesterol level of 130 and they are
perfectly healthy.  In those situations, leave well enough alone and
do not try to raise the cholesterol level by eating a high fat diet.
I do not have the studies at my finger tips otherwsie I would give
them to you.

Ther are countless studies showing the cholesterol lowering effects of
a healthful diet and exercise.  Your physician should know this and
he/she should also no trouble locating a few of these studies.  I
believe the two best things we can do for ourselves is exercise and
establish good eatings habits.  Exercise and diet working together are
very powerful.  Keep in mind that in some cases, a person will do all
of the so called right things and the cholesterol level may still be
high.  Those are the times when medication may be necessary.  However,
the first line of defense should be positive, permanent changes in
diet and exercise.

FYI:  A diet is not food deprivation or starvation.  There are no good
foods or bad foods, just better choices.  The donut, French fries, or
the candy bar did not cause weight gain or high cholesterol.  It was
the whole dietary intake.  A diet simply consists of the foods each of
us eats on a daily basis.  People should not be on a diet; instead, we
should have a diet.

Kevin Kelly, Licensed Registered Dietitian