From:
Kay Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:03:35 +0000

Just had to add to Bill Elkus report on his family vacation.
My husband and I visited the Canadian Rockies this summer also.
We stayed at Banff Springs and I had no problem at all in eating
there but my real surprise came at the Jasper Park Lodge Resort when
I inquired about the ingredients in one of the soups.  Our waiter
returned from the kitchen to say yes it did indeed contain flour but
added that the chef wanted to know if I was - celiac?  I was totally
taken aback - after answering in the affirmative he said the chef
would like to speak to me directly and he soon appeared from the
kitchen to review the menu.

He went on further to say that they had recently put together a new
menu for those with special dietary needs and among those was Celiac.
They had come across it quite frequently he said and their aim is "to
cater to their guests" - I gave him info and also suggested that he
contact Kinnikinnik in Edmonton which is fairly close to Jasper for
assistance with bread and cereal products.  He also added that they
were working in conjunction with other Canadian Hotels.

I also should add that in advance of our trip, I had contacted Ted
Wolff at Kinnikinnick and had him send a package to our first hotel
stop with a few "goodies" for me to enjoy on our trip.

We had the most wonderful vacation of our whole life  -  the Canadian
Rockies, all of the above and Tauck Tours made it possible.

Kay Merrill
Lowell, MA