From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:38:12 -0700

wrote: "casein is a phosphoprotein of milk, which has a molecular structure
that is extremely similar to that of gluten."

Marilyn McCool McAnswered and kindly steered me to the following
information: "It is well known that casein (from human or cow milk) will
break down in the stomach to produce a peptide known as casomorphine,
which, as the name implies, will have opioid activities.  Similar
effects are noted with gluten from wheat and some other cereals [notably
oats, barley and rye] in which the compounds formed are gluteomorphins
[or gliadinomorphins.]" That was from the archives at:
http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/aut/autintro.html

RESULTING ABDUCTIONS:

Sometimes I'm glad I'm curious because, if this is true, it ties up some
loose ends I've wondered about for a while: First, I'm allergic to
morphine. Second, I've read that milk, for the lactose intolerant (soy too
for that matter for those who are intolerant to that), can cause some
blunting of the villi similar to, but not nearly so bad as, gluten does. So
if casein and gluten break down into similar morphins this would mean it's
not the lactose but the casein that does the minor damage for those who are
allergic to casein, as I am (also lactose intolerant).

I am very sensitive to any part of any dairy product, including butter,
heavy cream, and aged hard cheeses. Lactose will hit me with a much harder
reaction than casein will, but if this theory is right it's the casein that
will do damage even though it may not cause the worst reactions. Lactose
will cause really bad reactions in me that are difficult to distinguish
from gluten: starting with bloating and going through all the GI
discomforts and that old black magic that we know so well (is there a
celiac song about that :) Casein, on the other hand, makes me nauseous,
sends me to the reading room several times the next morning, and also cause
more frequent urination (this last of which several people said last year
they experience also). Before you have any prostate operations try avoiding
all dairy first. Saved me one, and couldn't hoit.

I do know that gluten damage to the "vile" villi causes lactose intolerance
in half of us and most new celiacs till their villi heal, and I note that
several on this list have mentioned the casein allergy, but I don't what it
is that causes the latter. I suspect many more celiacs have problems with
one or the other or both than know it, since I had no idea until my doc
tested me and told me I was lactose intolerant (some breath capturing test
involving hydrogen I think it was). In fact, prior to avoiding dairy I was
certain for fifty years that milk settled my stomach. Not true I found
quickly.

Anyway, this has been an instructive exchange for me. Thanks. -vance

AN UNRELATED CURIOSITY: I might also add that both my non-celiac wife and I
had our first two anxiety attacks recently (simultaneous anxieties :) I
never had that before and it's terrible. Hated that feeling. Also made us
ultrasensitive to any caffeine. We (actually she) finally traced it down to
a Solaray "two staged, time release" multivitamin. The ingredients still
look harmless to me, but it sure hit both of us during both periods we took
it, and my wife is normally one of the most laid back people you'll ever
meet. Don't have any idea what caused this, but I'm glad we figured it out.
This celiac is good training :)

DON'T EVER KNOWINGLY EAT GLUTEN