From:
Sanna Vander Waal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:16:20 CDT

Dear listmembers,

I recently ran across a "safe $ forbidden list"
(http://www.celiac.com/forbidden.html) and I was surprised to find out that
starch(made in USA) was in the "safe list" as well as modified food
starch(made in USA) in the "safe additives list." Anyone have experiences
with this? Is it really safe, and if so why? After all they both were also
on the "forbidden list" if made outside USA.

I moved to the US from Finland a few years ago, so I am familiar with the
GF/low gluten starch that is widely used in Europe...Which of course, is an
entirely different issue.

Up till now, I've avoided starch, modified or plain (except corn starch etc.
gf starches...) but it sure would be nice if this magic "american starch"
was safe to eat! I sure would appreciate if anyone has any
information/experience with this issue.

Thanks,
Sanna