From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:46:49 -0700

Carla Giese <[log in to unmask]> asked:

C>My doctor recently wanted me to take a particular multi-vitaman
C>that listed wheat and barley grass .., yet it also said on the
C>bottle that they were gluten free. The ..manufacturer said that
C>the gluten is only  in the seeds. ...
C>
C>1. How can they be sure that no seeds got mixed in with the grass?
C>
C>2. If there is no gluten in the grass how does it suddenly
C>   manifest itself in  the seed?

The following is being reprinted with permission from Don Kasarda,
a grains expert from the USDA (writing in his personal capacity,
not the official government position).  Don has given the celiac
community extensive assistance in identifying which grains are
sufficiently related to wheat to present problems to celiacs.

K> The genes for gluten proteins appear to be expressed only in seeds.
K> The gluten proteins are storage material for the nutrition of the
K> new developing plant and serve no useful function in the vegetative
K> parts of the plant.  If the manufacturer harvests the grass before
K> any heading occurs, then there should be no gluten in the product.
K> At least one manufacturer has claimed to me that no heading has
K> occurred before they harvest.

I'd like to add my non-expert editorial comment -- unless you truly
believe that wheat grass has some curative power which is unrivalled
elsewhere, why take the chance?  Unless you grow your own wheat
grass, you are depending upon others care with respect to a powerful
toxin to your body.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles