From:
Craig Marcott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:00:24 -0500

Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for an alternative to EnerG
Foods english muffins.  The following is a list of your suggestions:

1. Kinnikinnick Foods  www.kinnikinnick.com  (This was the company suggested
by the greatest number of respondents, with, I must say, the greatest
overall enthusiasm.

2. Foods By George--Mahwah, NJ

3. Dietary Specialties

4. Glutino  www.glutino.com  (english muffins and bagels)

5. Belo  (www.belofoods.com)

6. EnerG Foods  (Hamburger buns and brown rice, sweet potato english
muffins)

7. Gluten Free Delight  (www.glutenfreedelights.com)

Other recommendations involved baking my own (I wish I could, but I don't
have the time) in which case it was suggested I refer to:

1. A recipe for "sandwich buns" in these archives

2. Bette Hagman's "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread."

One individual wanted to know more about the restrictions imposed by the FDA
on EnerG Foods.  It is complicated, and since I am not familiar with all of
the facts, I will say only that the FDA required a change in the atmosphere
used (or created) in the vacuum packing.  This required a change in the
recipe.  As far as I am aware, there was no evidence of any problems that
would have precipitated this FDA ruling.  I do not know which, if any,
products other than the English Muffins were affected. For further
information, I suggest you contact EnerG Foods.

Again, my thanks to all of you.  I have placed orders with three of the
companies and will do my own taste-testing.  If you would like me to post my
(subjective) results, I would be happy to do so.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Craig