From:
carolyn randall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 01:21:54 -0400

At 12:08 AM 6/8/96 -0400, you wrote:
>My father has CD. He lives in a small town with no convenient access to
>health food stores. The local supermarkets offer large varieties of cold
>cereal. I would like to find out from other list members what mainstream
>cereals are acceptable (if any). Cocoa puffs looks OK. Please advise and give
>suggestions as to others. Also, I have seen some discussion re caramel
>flavoring. Please detail. Thanks in advance!

Sun Flakes by Ralston is gluten free.  Your local store may be willing to
order it if they don't usually stock it.

One of my favorite "cereals" is Brown rice (long or short grain will work)
cooked in a crockpot with dried fruit and some fruit juice.  After this is
cooked, store in refrigerator.  Serve it warmed slightly in the microwave
(or not, as preferred) with a little sugar or sweetener and milk.  It really
is delicious and healthy.  He may enjoy topping the rice with fresh fruit
instead of cooking the dried fruit.  That's good too! The recipe follows and
you can double the quantities if desired.

1 c brown rice
2 c water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter

1/2 c dried fruit (apples, raisins, or whatever he likes
                    --DO NOT use chopped dates coated with oat flour!)
1 c fruit juice (natural apple, pineapple, etc)

Cook the rice for 2-3 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low, until done.

Good Luck and Good health!  Carolyn Randall, Fairborn OH