From:
Lynne Mircheff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynne Mircheff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:18:38 -0700

After reading some comments on the internet about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and their ability to keep their gluten free clients healthy, I was worried sick about my upcoming first cruise on the largest cruise ship in the world, Oasis of the Seas.  I am extremely sensitive and have symptoms after eating gluten free food coming from most non-gluten free kitchens.  Also I didn't think it was a great idea to have special dietary needs on a boat with 5,000+ of other passengers.  I wasn't given a lot of comfort that I was going to be ok in my contact with Royal Caribbean before the trip and on the ship at first.  I got conflicting instructions but the main dining room captain told me that the Solarium café (healthy spa type cuisine) was 90% gluten free and I should try that venue.  The Solarium required an extra $20/pp surcharge but what the heck if they would keep me healthy.  So we ate there and loved it.  I had no symptoms so we went back every night.  We also went there for lunch too and the chef came out every day, asked what I wanted and went back and custom cooked it for me so that I wouldn't have to risk cross contamination from the buffet.  I had some amazing food and was treated like visiting royalty!!
Lynne in Pasadena (no financial interest in RCCL)