From:
Allison Stefanov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allison Stefanov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:56:02 -0500

Thank you so much for all your help regarding a German GF Restaurant Card.  Here is the summary:

I have traveled to Germany with great success, as well as France and Italy.  I found dining cards and a great deal of information in the book,"  Waiter, Is there Wheat in my soup " By LynnRae Ries. Here is the Card from that book.  When I made them I put them on postcard size cards ( purchased at staples on sheets of 4) and took several with me (sometimes the cheif would keep it /or I would forget)  This card has been a lifesaver in my travels abroad.

Ich Leide an einer Gesundheisstorung, die als Zoliakie Bezeichnet wird.  Darum darf ich nichts essen, was auch nur die kleinsten Spuaren von Weizen,Roggen, Gerste oder Hafer enthalt. Gibt es auf Ihrer Speisekarte, die ich bedenkenlosessen kann?  Resi und Mais sind unbedenklich.  Frisches Gemuse ist unbedenklick. Frisches Fleisch and Fisch mussen in getrennten, sauberen GefaBen oder in der Mikrowelle zubereitet werden. Bitte keine Sauce auf mein Essen, Vielen Dank.

This is the exact wording that the card says in English.  Just so you know what it says:  I have a medical condition called Coeliac Disease.  I cannot eat foods containing even the smallest trace of  Wheat, rye, barley, or oats as ingredients.  Do you have items on your menu I can safely eat?  Rice and corn are safe. Fresh vegetables are safe. Fresh meat and fish must be cooked in a separate clean pan or microwave.  Please do not put sace on my food.

This comes from the following website: http://members.aol.com/zoeliak/spr_info.htm under the sub-heading "Deutsch".  It is a true translation when compared to the English version on their website (I'm fluent in both languages having lived in Germany until age 24).

Da ich an einer Unverträglichkeit von Getreideeiweiß leide ( Weizen, Roggen, Gerste, Hafer), darf mein Essen kein Mehl, Paniermehl, Grieß, Nudeln usw. enthalten. Sollten in dem gewählten Gericht davon Bestandteile enthalten sein, die nicht weggelassen werden können, bitte ich um einen anderen Vorschlag, Vielen Dank!

Then there is a German speaking Austrian list with about 60 participants from Austria, Swiss and Germany. More information could be found at http://members.kabsi.at/zoeliakie/mlist.html. The list manager can be reached at [log in to unmask] This is a German Celiac Web page: http://www.zoeliakie-info.de with a discussion forum.

The site advises:
Request for the Chef When going to a restaurant you should (like almost everywhere in the world) talk to the staff.  The waiter can bring the following text to the chef in the kitchen:

      German: English:
      Da ich an einer Unverträglichkeit von Getreideeiweiß leide (Weizen, Roggen, Gerste, Hafer), darf mein Essen kein Mehl, Paniermehl, Grieß, Nudeln usw. enthalten.
      Sollten in dem gewählten Gericht davon Bestandteile enthalten sein, die nicht weggelassen werden können, bitte ich um einen anderen Vorschlag.
      Vielen Dank!  Since I suffer from an inability to digest proteins derived from cereals (rye, wheat, barley, oats), I cannot eat dishes containing flour, breadcrumbs, semolina, pasta, etc.
      If any of these ingredients are contained in the meal I have chosen and it is not possible to leave them out, could you please offer me an alternative dish.
      Thank you very much!

There is a restaurant card in the back of the CSA product book

In Germany, the Celiacs Association is the DZG, Deutsche Zöliakie Gesellschaft (German Celiac Community). Their website is the  www.dzg-online.de.  If you click on the "English" tab at the top of the page, you'll find a web page for travelers with some basic info, including some German  text you can copy and print out for a restaurant card (near the bottom of the page).

One website, that may help in Germany is the www.zoeliakie-treff.de

You may also want to check out www.glutenfreetravel.com

Jax Peters Lowell wrote a book "Against the Grain".  She has the GF card in various languages in that.

In addition there are other German restaurant cards -- for example:
http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/15-german.html

Reformhaus has lots of wonderful gluten free selections. (I brought some home as "souvenirs.")  On the Reformhaus web site you can find locations of stores in every town in Germany, with city maps and all, http://www.reformhaus.de/branche/reformhaeuser.htm

At Reformhaus I also found something called "Maniok kekes" (Manioc biscuits) -- from Mauritius.  Those are wonderful!!  I am hoping that I can get some in the US.  I found a web site - but have yet to find a place to buy them - http://www.freewebs.com/hrault/

http://tinyurl.com/7p4v6

You can go to www.babblefish.com and write the card and the site will translate.

Virtually every town in Germany has a "Reformhaus" (a health food store) that knows about "Zoeliakie". And they carry a great range of European foodstuffs, including pasta, chocolate, bread, drinks, and other "Gluten-Frei" (gluten-free) things.

I am from Germany and live since 18 years in the US. You'll find it much easier to eat over there then here. But I would recommend for you to go to a 'Reformhaus', our equivalent to a health food store. The people working there are educated in all diets, and all dietary products are strictly controlled by authorities. If the Reformhaus is a well assorted store you'll find a large selection of goods that are gf. You can buy bread there which is really good, either for your breakfast or to make
some sandwiches. In Restaurants it is a bit more difficult, however you should ask that the sauce will be left out, which is mostly thickened with flour. Sometimes the meat is rolled in flour to brown it, mainly stews or roasts. Most restaurants are privately owned and the food is just as diverse as the owners. I can't really make a prediction what kind of food you will find on the menu.  If you ask friendly, they are willing to accommodate you, or tell you what is safe for you to eat. Any kind of Wurst (cold cut or sausages) are usually gf, but ask anyway. I have found they put a lot of MSG in the cold cuts and I do react to that violently. Soups are made with a broth that does contain gluten. STAY AWAY from that.

From Jax Peters Lowell, author of Against The Grain,:  There is a German dining card in my new book, The Gluten-Free Bible (Henry Holt, 2005).

If you contact the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) in Seattle, they have a free German version of the Restaurant Card that is the size of a credit card and you can laminate it.

Contact them at:
Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG)
15110 10th Ave SW, Suite A
Seattle, WA 98166-1820