From:
Rick Newby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:16:45 -0700

Dear folks,

Thank you for the outpouring of responses to my question about GF antacids
other than Tums (given that the Tums folks won’t guarantee that their
product is gluten-free). As a newcomer to the list, I feel very much
welcomed!

Here is my summary of the many responses:

The most-often recommended GF antacids were Rolaids, Axid AR, Pepcid,
Gaviscon, Mylanta, Pepto Bismol, Maalox, Eckerd Extra Strength, Gelusil
tablets, and Safeway Select with extra Ca++.

A few emails addressed Tums directly:

“My mom takes tums every day for calcium and when she had a blood test last
may it came back negative. Doesn't appear she is getting gluten from them.”

“This issue came up for me some time ago. It was Shelley Case's opinion that
Tums are gf. It seems to be another case of a company believing they are
protecting themselves legally with no scientific info.
        The thing to do is explain the amount of business that they are losing
because they can't state it is gf. After all, if we get labeling laws
theywill have to.....”

“My entire family has CD and we all use Tums with no problem. The company
won't comment on gluten, but what they told me is that none of the
ingredients contain gluten, but they can't say, "or legal reason" that it's
gf.”

*

Another email suggested papaya enzymes as an alternative:

“I use papaya enzymes from the local health store. Most brands say gluten
free on them - but the one i have now is American Health - chewable papaya
enzyme. My gluten eating boyfriend even uses these now as opposed to tums or
rolaids.
        I also buy dried papaya and pineapples from the health foodstores around me
as these contain the digestive enzymes as well, i eat this after i eat lunch
and stuff to help me digest.  takes care of all the heart burn i've ever
had. and i have had tons in my life.  Now i've cut out most dairy that I
realized was giving me heart burn,  but if i have any I do the enzymes.
They pretty much neutralize whatever's going on in there!”

*

Another email suggested helpful websites:

“Since you're new, I want to let you know about the fantastic commercial
food listings available at delphiforums.com and enabling. org.  They are
pretty similar, I've been using the delphiforums list.  You have to
register, then find the celiac page.  You can download the list to your
computer and/or print it.  It lists a lot of big name products, including
medications.  It is updated regularly.”

Again, thanks to everyone for your generous responses. Now all I have to do
is select one antacid from the many GF options!

All best, Rick Newby