From:
Catherine Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:09:58 -0700

Sorry this summary is so late, I've been swamped lately.

As for citric acid, the consensus among those who responded to me was
that domestically produced citric acid was GF, but that which is
produced overseas might not be, so to always check the source.  If it
isn't "made in the USA" then investigate further, or else just assume it
is on the off-list; if it is, it's safe.

About the maltodextrin - boy do I feel silly.  I had been advised by my
son's GI that maltodextrin was derived from barley, since the word
"malt" is in it.  Apparently, this is not the case and I was the last to
know!  I got MANY emails telling me that 99.99999999 % of the time it is
made from corn, so only to avoid it if we are avoiding corn, which we
presently are not.  No one had EVER heard of it being made from barley.
So my apologies to anyone whom I had previously told it was not safe, I
was mistaken.  And it's nice to have one more ingredient, and therefore
many more commercially available foods, on the ok-list :)

I did receive one warning about dextrin.  Can anyone elaborate on this?

I also heard got a warning about dextrose, but I was under the impression
that anything that ended in "ose" was a sugar, and had been told by
someone else that this was true, dextrose was just another form of sugar.
Any help on this?  I will continue to assume dextrose is ok unless I hear
otherwise.

Thanks to all who responded, and please correct me if I am in error on
any of this.

Catherine in AZ