From:
"C. M. D'Orazio" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:06:42 -0600

Hi Jenny:

I am sending the answer to your post both to you and the list, since this a
subject is most often address by all of us.  Hope this information will help
your mother's friend to find out if she sufferer of this disease.  Good luck to
you all.  Clelia

This is the information on Celiac Disease I have found in my medical book:

*  Celiac:

Is a disease of the intestinal tract characterized by malabsorption, weight
loss, abdominal distention, bloating, diarrhea and steatorrhea.  The patients
are intolerant to the proteins present in wheat:  gluten and gliadin.  The
microscopic structure of the mucoa of the jejunal portion of the small intestine
is abnormal.  Diagnosis is difficult because patients may present with only one
of the complications such as anemia, bleeding tendency, or unexplained weight
loss, which may be attributed to anxiety and depression.  There is no specific
diagnostic test; however, patients who exhibit virtually complete reversal of
symptoms and signs (including changes  in bowel mucosa) after beginning a
gluten-free diet are considered to have this disease.  Treatment is with a
gluten-free diet.  SYN:  gluten-induced enteropahy; nontropical s.

*  Nontropical S:  Celiac's

*  Tropical:

A disease endemic in many tropical regions, marked by weakness, anemia, loss of
weight, steatorrhea, and malabsorption of essential nutrients.  its cause is
unknown but is thought to be a bacterial infection of the intestine.  Treatment
for tropical sprue is administration of folic acid and tetracyclines for about a
month.  A longer period of therapy may be required if the disease has been
present for years.